Thursday, September 22, 2011

Writing an Outline: P72


How do you write an outline?

I never really did, just wrote and found the end wherever the ending was, more through feel and luck than any great skill. It never occurred to me to change because as is said in some circles:

“Born lazy, stay that way forever, cursing the go-getters in a half-assed way until the commercials are over and the football game comes back on.”

You heard that one before, right? Sure. All the kids are saying it. (I can hear my wife in my head right now by the way; Don't end a sentence with a preposition, bitch. She actually uses that exact phrase. Borderline abuse, says I, but I man up and stay silent in a sort of one-husband protest. I'm tough.)

So. I was looking into changing things up and decided, hey, you can take the opportunity you have at work to abuse company time and look up on the interweb different ways to write outlines. I was bored enough to give it go and went to work.

That's when I found Randy Ingermanson and his Snowflake ten step outline plan. I was drawn in even as I was intimidated by the level of commitment his plan meant. The end result, though, that was what intrigued me. Ingermanson claimed to cut the first draft writing time in half, even with the lengthy outline process. Half the time or better.
I'm not selling Ingermanson's Snowflake system, which I gather is basically a way to streamline his outline with pre-made forms or a ready to input outline. Not sure of the exact details of the system, but I did print off the article and I plan to make use of it, bit-

(Whoops, sorry. Almost slipped, there.)

Anyway. I am going to try the system and see where it takes me and whether I can write a book as quickly as Ingermanson claims.

In the indie world, speed is king so if I can streamline my process... I'm game. 


I'll let everyone know my progress.

No comments: