Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Twitter Tips for Writers: What You Can Do


Copyblogger is a treasure trove nearly every day for useful information, a site I feel essential to my weekly reading list. October fourth's post, 9 Resources That Make You A Better Marketer On Twitter, is one of those articles where a single reading is simply insufficient, one of those lists that actually requires more than reading.

This article requires action.

For my part, and as the article states at the beginning, I tend to read lists filled with advice and say, well that sounds fine for the average person, but me, I'm doing okay. That is of course code for, I'm too lazy to follow through with changing the essentials of what I'm doing already.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, if a writer thinks that way, if a blogger thinks that way, if a person thinks that way, I say they are wrong. There is room for improvement.

Always.

What that means at this point is that I am going to do my best to follow the nine tips as outlined in the copyblogger article. As I try to implement the tips, I'll report on my progress, see where I'm improving, where I'm failing and whether I'm misunderstanding the directions.

For the last, I will leave that up to the readers of this blog to call me on my mistakes, my errors in thinking or implementation. I would appreciate feedback, appreciate comments and hope that you folks do speak up- with whatever comments you want to make.

I would be especially eager to hear what everyone else is doing, if you choose to try some of the tips as well.

Today, I began using this tip.

I made a direct plea for retweets and also asked twitter followers (442 approximately at the time of the tweets) to read my blog post and to comment. I did this twice. Once at 4:00 PM EST and again at 7:00 PM EST. The results?

Six page views and zero retweets as of 9:00 PM EST.

I will do this tomorrow, to simply ask for what I am always hoping will just happen. It is, I will say, contrary to my natural inclination to stay under the radar, but as the article says, it is important, and more effective, to make clear what it is you want as people will be more likely to act when asked. So tomorrow I will give the tip a full day, to see where I stand.

Self-promotion, as uncomfortable as it makes you feel, is necessary and as a writer, you need to get over the thought that selling is embarrassing. It shouldn't be an uncomfortable feeling. I know I need to remind myself that asking isn't demanding and it certainly isn't demeaning.

So I ask: read, comment, follow and, if I begin with a word, will you take my hand on my quest?

2 comments:

Rebekah Johnson said...

Thanks for the article and the links. It made for some interesting reading as I'm trying to sort out how to make Twitter work for me to promote my book. Good luck with your 50 book goal!

MT Nickerson said...

You're most welcome and thank you for stopping by.

Twitter should be an asset for a writer, but figuring out how exactly to make it work for you is the big question. I was really glad to find that copyblogger addressed the issue and am glad to pass along the information.

Good luck to you on your book, Rebekah- (a link to where people might buy your book would look fine at the end of your next comment. Self-promotion is, I am discovering, twenty-four seven.)