Friday, November 11, 2011

A Blogger In The Maze, Looking For Cheese


I’m no expert, folks, just a guy, a newbie, one hand trailing the same wall and trying to find my way through the writing maze. That’s how you navigate a maze- keep following the same wall. The problem is, the maze is so goddamn big and the bastards keep doing construction ahead of us all, changing walls around, re-routing, throwing up random roadblocks.

I’m just a guy and as was pointed out to me yesterday, I don’t even have a book. It wasn’t pointed out with malice, but did I detect some disdain? Well, yeah, I guess I did.

Nice blog, but I didn’t notice a book for sale...

No. No book. I may be sensitive and it is early in the morning and I had dreams, you know the ones, right? Disturbing dreams for no obvious reason just that undercurrent that sets your mind on the edge of normal so everything is off by that much. And my jaw hurts like I spent hours in mute disapproval.

Maybe like I said, I’m over-sensitive but it was not the first time someone pointed out that I have nothing except the blog. I’ve never denied that, folks, not a moment have I done anything except trace my hand along the wall of the maze, trying to find my way. I’d like company, sure, but I’m not into the slavery thing- no forcing, compulsion or nefarious schemes to trick folks into following me.

Come along and learn with me. Teach with me. Correct me. Scold me when appropriate. Encourage me. Drift to me, away and back again. Be constant, temporary, longstanding or brief.

You, folks, you make the choice, not I.

I’m just a guy, you know?

I have a maze to navigate and one day, when I’m ready, there will be a book, and another and... well, I don’t plan on stopping, now do I?

For now, I have a blog, several projects, and vague plans of how to achieve the ‘Dream’, my personal fantasy. So far, folks, my arm is strong. I feel like I can trail my fingertips along that maze wall for a long time, a lifetime, even.

How about you all? Care to follow with me?

I promise, someday, I will without shame, sell books.

Just not today...

18 comments:

Penelope said...

A blog is a form of entertainment all on its own. You don't need to be peddling your wares.

It also offers opportunities to network and establish a "fan"/support base prior to publishing. Doing this when you are PRE-pubbed is a huge step up in the publishing business. Once you get pubbed, you already have a network and blog in place. You already have a cheering section in your corner.

Anyone who gave you crap about not having a book out yet is missing the big picture. You are doing it right.

Make no apologies. Your blog can be anything you want it to be.

If you find the cheese, let me know. I'll bring the wine.

MT Nickerson said...

I'm not picky about vintage, so definitely, I'll give you a call :)

Penelope said...

Michael....I give talks about promotion for authors, and one of the things I recommend is to start a blog BEFORE you are published. Once you get that contract, your life will spin out of control. You will not have time to start a blog/website/learn about social media. Doing those things while you are writing your first book is a really good strategy. You should also have an author bio ready to go. You're doing a great job!

MT Nickerson said...

Thank you, Penny. I enjoy the blog and am not super bothered by comments of "where's your book", but in my mind, as I get further along and more comfortable with blogging, I won't lie- I wonder about the book, too.

I really enjoy blogging but don't want to sacrifice book-writing time to blog with no end in sight.

(Am I sounding too emo? That's a thing, right? Emo?)

Linda Rogers said...

I agree with Penelope. A blog is a place you go to be yourself. It's like writing in a journal. You can do and be whatever you need to be. I use to write in a journal back in the day before lap taps and computers. It was my place to decide what I wanted to write and express. Good luck in all your endeavors and just have fun with your blog :-)

farawayeyes said...

How refreshing that you have a blog and give free advice and support and encouragement and 'talk' to and or with people.

How refreshing that you are not trying to sell me something on your blog,on twitter,on facebook and everywhere in-between.

How refreshing that you seem kind and sensitive and really care about people. Maybe?

I write novels and not a one is published yet. When they are I hope I refrain from being the pain in the ass filled with disdain. Who needs that or them?

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I've been a blogger since 2007 and am only just now celebrating my imminent debut book release. Prior to this, I've been known as a blogger, because those who love to blog like it for its own sake, not as a means of promoting something.

Just enjoy your own path and leave the naysayers at the side of the road.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Well crap. Everybody needs to start somewhere! Listen to Penny. She's wise in the ways of the world.
There's a lot of pettiness in this world. Let it roll off your back. Thick skin, baby writer. Thick skin.

Patricia Lynne said...

I had my blog waaaay before I had my book so I wouldn't worry about it. Blogs are a great way to for people to get to know you and your writing.

MT Nickerson said...

Thanks for the comment, Linda. I enjoy the blog, i have expressed, though, how I struggle with content. I think I've settled on quasi-professional at this point... or so I'm saying right now :)

MT Nickerson said...

Farawayeyes- I hope never to disappoint, but when the time comes, I don't imagine I'll be above plugging a book or two- hopefully discreetly and with class.

And I do care about people. Not sure about the sensitive stuff though- I just try to get by and hope to have good folks around me to kick my ass in line when needed...

MT Nickerson said...

Julia Philips- Glad to hear about the book. Do you still feel the same love now for blogging as you did when you started? I wonder (and yes worry) about burnout- about recycling tired themes over and over...

How do you deal with keeping the blog going for so long?

MT Nickerson said...

I shall do as you say, most wise Julia Barrett, and let it role off my baby smooth skin... :)

MT Nickerson said...

At first Patricia, I saw blogging far different than I do now. I thought the blog would be just a way station of sorts that would funnel readers to places like Amazon, where they would snap up my future books- now, I am beginning to appreciate the blog as safe place far away from commercialization.

Of course I won't hesitate in the future to put those links on the blog, but I don't need the sell, sell, sell mentality...

Ginger @ GReads! said...

Just found your blog via twitter & I'll admit, I wasn't looking for your book ;-) You have a refreshing voice in the few posts I've gone through. I'll definitely be coming back for more. Enjoy the maze!

MT Nickerson said...

Thank you Ginger! Look around and kick the tires a bit... I appreciate your kind words.

Rebecca Bradley said...

A blog is a writers water cooler. That place to go when you want to chat to people who are slogging away at the same thing. Writing is isolating. Only you can sit in front of the keyboard. A blog is a good place to connect and chat. Keep at it :)

MT Nickerson said...

Thank you, Rebecca and welcome to the water cooler!