Monday, November 14, 2011

I Without You Is Boring


No Broken bones.

I spoiled the ending but it was on my mind from the start, so much so that I had to blurt it out, motivated by fear. Sorry. There are things I fear that sometimes I can’t avoid.

No broken bones, no internal injuries, no impalement of any kind, no gaping wounds that required medical attention. Everything worked out.

I worked on my shed (with loft) with my father-in-law on Sunday, and despite the fact that I hate heights and we were working on the roof rafters and the first course of plywood on the peak, I made it through- not brilliantly. I can’t claim I scurried about like a reckless squirrel, but I whimpered on the inside instead of the outside as is usual. Progress, says I.

One of my father-in-law’s good friends lent us a table saw and then came over to help with the construction. He stayed on the ground, which was an excellent idea, as there is only so much room in an 8x12 shed. I won’t say that of the three of us I was the only one who had no problems with the 15 or so inches (38 cm) between the rafters because that would be rude, so...

...ok?

Well, then. Despite a tight moment, the shed is coming along nicely. I have a week and change to finish closing it in before my two week excursion and before the snow begins to fly in earnest.

Closing in the shed is my primary non-writing project pre-New Zealand. I have two bedside tables from Ikea that are my secondary project. My wife and I are going to hack them, hack the hell out of them and make them better. Or that’s the plan.

And then there are the details. I need to get my ducks in a row as regards to my blog. I have much to do and less time than I need to do it all. I realize I write this, that I have at least five more blog posts to write in the next week so that my blog doesn’t go dark for two weeks.

It is difficult to ask in the first place for folks to invest time and energy into a blog without then randomly abandoning the blog at my convenience. My blog and my readers are part of my life, not ancillary, but integral. As such, I need to account for my time and make arrangements.

Or so says I and really, who is I without You?

2 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll be here when you get back. Besides, it's great to get away for a while. I'm glad you didn't break anything. I can't even climb more than 3-4 rungs up a ladder without panicking. And here as a kid I used to climb up onto the roof and leap - trying to fly.
Lots of broken bones...

MT Nickerson said...

I have a few blog posts in the works and some guest bloggers, so, the blog will go on, even after I'm gone...

(I used to climb trees and jump from roofs into the snow- not sure what happened to me in my old age)