Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday With Mikayla Guest Post #1




What do you call a dog with no legs?
It doesn't matter he won't come when you call him anyways.

When you ask, you often receive, but you sometimes get something other than what you expected. Going away to New Zealand I knew I needed blog posts and so I thought, ‘Why not ask Mikayla. She’s going to school and this could be an excellent writing exercise.’

She’s nine, so maybe I should have expected the above joke, right? Plus, she is related to me, so...

What I didn’t expect was how, in my niece’s words, I would so suddenly become aware of how much she’s grown, how individual she is, and just how clear it is that she is a product of the same gene pool that created me. She’s one of us.

Heaven help her.

-Michael

Guest post by Mikayla, age 9:

My name is Mikayla and I am nine. I home-school. On Sunday I go to church. Monday nights I have Awana and I have guitar lessons on Tuesday.

When I was 7 and 8 I wrote my own newspapers. Michael bought me a real briefcase to put my papers in. This year I am writing a book. It takes a long time to write a book. I am only on page 4 of chapter one.

I read a lot. I am almost finished with all of the Little House books. I wish I could build a time machine and go back into the past to visit Laura. I know I would have to land the time machine somewhere where they couldn't see me because they might get scared if they saw the machine and shoot at me.

They could come to the future and see all the new inventions. Mary is blind but I could take her to the hospital and get her eyes fixed.

I could give them things from the future to take to the past. Things that would make their life easier.

It would be fun to have a friend from the past to visit and to visit me.

Last year I was writing a blog, not a real one. Just stuff on the laptop. I am going to to give
them to Michael for his blog.

The other day I wrote a poem:

My name is Ned. My head is red.
That is Fred. He is in bed.
Because Fred is DEAD! (Hee-hee )

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Thanks for sharing Mikayla's post I really enjoyed it! Good joke and poem, and you should tell her so. Thanks. -Aaron

Written Words said...

Mikayla's post shows she has learned the most important lesson a writer has to learn: say what you mean simply.

Keep writing, Mikayla!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Hi Mikayla. I love the Little House books! And your joke is very funny.

MT Nickerson said...

I've been told that Mikayla is considering a life of blogging due to the kind comments. Thank you all!