Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Salty Sunday Rant


Getting saltier every day

Sunday? It is when this is posted. A rant? Been working fine for me. Alrighty, then! (said in my most pathetic Ace Ventura mind voice):

I’ve been with  the same company for almost fourteen years and I believe that I’m ruined for the remainder of my life as regards to finding employment elsewhere. I ask myself, ‘How can you function anywhere but where you are right now?’

You see, folks, I’m damaged goods, unsuited for civilized work with civilized folks. In most things, I would happily claim similar traits with my father, who for example in thirty-odd years, never missed work except the three times he was hospitalized and forced to stay home (I have one sick day in almost fourteen years, myself). He worked tirelessly, all week, driving a tractor trailer for a construction company. He was loved by most everyone, could handle his truck like it was VW bug and never neglected his family up until the day he died. In short, he was a good man.

Then there was his use of the English language. He liked his adjectives with extra salt.

Despite my mother’s best administration of a bar of soap when I was younger, I’ve lost my civil tongue working in the maintenance department at my job. When I transferred to the department from my job as a child care worker, I was reasonable, swore infrequently, was polite and respectful.

Now?

A recent interaction between me and a supervisor:

Me: “F**k off.”
Supervisor: “Geez, Nick, you-”
Me: “F**k off.”

See?

I call one of the housekeepers a bitch almost every day. She in turn calls me a bastard. Fairly certain that this would be frowned upon almost everywhere else. The maintenance shop is raunchy and rough and I enjoy it too much, folks and I’ll tell you, even though I never used the same words as my father when I was young, I remember them all.

I’m adding my social deterioration to the list of black marks, the latest of many, against my employer. No raises for the sixth year, the termination of our retirement last week and the fact that our CEO in Pennsylvania likes to wear stupid, yuppie-type sweaters are other examples I would like to cite as well.

Now, I need to find someone so I can tell them where to go and eaxctly how they can get there...

12 comments:

farawayeyes said...

I want to say something, but I feel that anything I would say, you would not want to hear. I think I do know how you feel.

Maybe what I really want to say is that someone heard you.

Sometimes when I rant and nobody comments, I think oh oh, there I go again. alienating a few more friends.

Hang in there

KayEm said...

I have known and admired so many people who cuss fluently (and in various languages too) and I'm plainly envious. Why, o why, does language like that come only to the tip of my tongue? What holds me back, intimidates me? Why do I care?

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I am awful. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

MT Nickerson said...

farawayeyes- thank you. Hanging tough.

MT Nickerson said...

Use to be able to cuss in Spanish because of a foreign exchange student in high school- but I've forgotten most of it, sadly...

Don't hold back, KayEm- let the words fly! It is quite invigorating, even if it doesn't always make you popular.

MT Nickerson said...

Not alone, Julia. I card carrying member of the cuss club. If you know and use at least ten salty terms, you too could be a member... :)

KayEm said...

Must say it is tempting sometimes :-)

MT Nickerson said...

Try it on someone who really deserves it- cathartic. And eventually, if you do it enough, people just call you eccentric, which isn't too bad, really...

Eileen Schuh: said...

It's my CHARACTERS's foul language that embarrasses me most (see my article on this topic http://eileenschuh.blogspot.com ) Sleepless nights and numerous apologies have made me promise myself my next novel will be a Christian Romance where people talk in southern drawls (instead of Construction-Site-ese)and do exciting things in prim and proper ways.

MT Nickerson said...

Exciting things in prim and proper ways? Is that possible? :)

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Yes indeedy I do know and use at least ten salty terms. On a regular basis, all in one sentence, especially while driving in the car behind stupid people.

MT Nickerson said...

Bonus for the one sentence, ten word string! Good going, Julia!