Saturday, December 31, 2011

Clothes Shopping, My New Bane


Even this guy can't pull this off

My wife loves to shop and since we’ve been together, my indifference toward shopping and the buying of clothes has changed to frustration on the many excursions to stores from Maine to New York- and many in New Zealand and Canada, too.

I have little frustration accompanying my wife shopping (though her stamina far exceeds my own and while shopping, my wife borders on super-human while I usually end up finding a corner to whimper in as a I moan about feet that feel twice their original size and complain of a lower back that seems to have thousands of needles jabbing into it without mercy).

My frustration stems from the fact that I have yet to find a store anywhere that produces clothes I want to buy beyond a random shirt or the standard blue jeans. Most stores, even the underwear they sell is pretentious and somehow over-complicated. And that is the center of my problem, the complicated nature of clothes. I don’t want weird collars on a sweater that covers the left side of my face, leaving my right cheek and neck exposed or pants with double breasted button-up flys or strange, single buttons on shirts on my bicep that attach to my sleeves when I roll them up.

I don’t want advertising, either, that tells everyone I’m wearing an Abercrombie & Fitch sweatshirt or the advertising done by other companies who feel the need to stamp everything with their name and logo.

Make quality clothes and people will buy those quality clothes. That’s my opinion, anyway.

I’m frustrated that my indifference has been replaced by the growing feeling that somehow I am picky or a clothes-snob, which up to now, I had not realized. This wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that now when shopping as I once did, with no mind toward size and fit and little interest as to matching (all blues and blacks and reds, when paired together, match, right?), I now get a feeling in my gut that like a feeling of desperation. My style has to be represented out there, somewhere; simple clothes, made good, fit good, and clothes that look good.

I would hate to think, folks, that I’ve morphed into a clothes-snob, or worse, that all these years, deep inside, I was a clothes-whore.

Who knew that getting married would add this particular dilemma to my daily life? Completely worth it,  folks, even if it turns out I am a clothes-whore. If so, so be it!

10 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Well, let your wife buy your clothes. My husband hates shopping. For years he had me pick out his clothes until he suddenly grokked what I was doing - how I chose the styles that flattered him. Now he's an amazing shopper. No more hand-holding. And he found a gay man to help him out. They have a great shopping partnership!

Wendy aka Quillfeather said...

Happy New Year, Michael. All the best with your writing endeavors.

MT Nickerson said...

Hey, Julia, Wendy- happy New Year to you both. Thank you both for your comments, encouragement and well wishes.

MarCarring said...

With clothing generally, it seems easier to co-ordinate pieces which are in block colours, say, plain red shirt and blue pants, with beige jacket, no stripes or designs, if you get what I mean(I'm just using this combination as an example). Having trousers of various colors and styles, same with t-shirts, shirts and jackets, you can mix and match whichever way you like. Of course, it's all up to the individual in the end, and what they're comfortable wearing!

Modern Military Mother said...

Who cares? Fashion is futile. Invest your mind matter in more worthy cogitations. IMHO

MT Nickerson said...

MMM- I find every thought worth the effort to consider at least once. IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Agreed....though I do like the occasional questionably place button, I can't stand brand names on clothes. Pay me if I am to be a walking billboard, I'm not going to pay you

gUY said...

Dig your blog. I'LL BE BACK.

Mazzastick said...

That's funny about not wanting to be a walking advertisement for a clothes vendor. Now if the vendor wants to pay me to wear their clothes with a logo on it than that is another story.

patrick Marks said...

We need to build a store that makes clothes for men that are purely FUNCTIONAL and comfortable - to heck with matching, style or brand. We want clothes that make us feel good and a ratty sweatshirt is a winner in my book.