Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winged Shoes Would Be Sweet


Not certain if writing about running is tiresome or not, but of late it has been on my mind, and as a consequence, I am excited and can think few other thoughts. I have a race in two months, a 5k that I have done two years in a row and this year with be my third. It’s called the Flattop and is usually held a couple weeks earlier than it will be this year, possibly because the temperature in Maine in mid-March can be brutal. Not sure of last year, but two years ago it was only 20реж F.

As a first race of the season, the Flattop is brutal, what with the cold and the fact that winter weight is damn stubborn weight, especially after a typical Maine winter.

Last year I ran with my brother who is new to racing and so I ran slower than I could have, but in 2010, I ran my all and still managed a slow 22:34. This year, I want to go below twenty minutes.

Blah, blah, blah, yes, I know. I drone and no one really cares, but... here I am, feeling old and slow and serious.

I cranked a 5:33 mile last May, so the question I have to ask myself is whether I can string three miles together while maintaining a per mile pace just under a minute slower. And Folks, I really want to say yes.

Once upon a time, I ran in the eighteen minute range for a 5k.  

Two months to train.

Oh, I found my shoes, so I have that going for me and on another positive note, after being married, I suddenly found out that secretly I harbored opinions on towels. Never knew before that I had opinions on towels. All it took to make this discovery about myself? My wife asked, “What do you think of these?”

Bammo!, instant discovery of towel-opinion ability. I guess if I can suddenly learn of hidden talents in my thirties, then a sub-twenty minute 5k is within reach, too.

4 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Damn nice to have you back, man! Don't stay away so long! And good luck with the race. Could be slushy.

MT Nickerson said...

Thanks, Julia. I promise to do better in the future and not disappear for so long.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

You can disappear if you like. I just missed you. Selfish, huh?

MT Nickerson said...

Awww :)