Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Embracing the Wonders of Acadia: A Writer's Journey in Maine


I consider myself fortunate to call the breathtaking state of Maine my home, with Acadia National Park as my neighbor. However, like many, I often find myself neglecting the natural wonders around me. Despite Acadia being a global destination with over two million annual visitors, my family and I only made a handful of visits this year. With Acadia's peaks always in view, it's surprisingly easy to take its beauty for granted.


From hiking and running to capturing photos and enjoying picnics, Acadia offers a plethora of experiences. Standing on one of its two dozen peaks provides spectacular views of the ocean, foliage, small towns, and fleets of boats. Yet, the proximity sometimes leads to neglect, fostering the belief that it will always be there, unchanged and accessible whenever I choose. The mindset becomes, "I'll visit tomorrow, or next weekend."


This neglect becomes apparent with every trail hiked and peak crested, reminding me of the fallacy behind assuming that tomorrow is guaranteed. As a person, a Mainer, and a writer, I miss out when I view my surroundings as just another item on the To-Do List. Acadia becomes a checkbox – great if crossed off, but still there if not. The illusion of unlimited tomorrows lingers until the realization hits during a hike, making me confront the missed opportunities and unrealized tasks.


As a writer, the concept of 'tomorrow' is unsettling, as I reflect on the many tomorrows that never came. The numerous To-Do Lists, often replacements for unfinished ones, trace back to my childhood of unfulfilled 'tomorrow tasks.' Writers must be immersed in the world daily, as procrastination leads us nowhere fast.


Writing is the alchemy of turning words into wonder. Living in the moment, in the world, is the key to this transformation. Yesterday's hike served as a stark reminder of the importance of embracing the present for a writer, avoiding the trap of pushing experiences to an uncertain 'tomorrow.' 

No comments: